Thursday, July 27, 2017

CHARIOT RIDE to HEAVEN

STRANGEST THINGS OF THE BIBLE

ELIJAH WANTED ELISHA TO STAY AT GILGAL
   
"It was almost time for the Lord to take Elijah by a whirlwind up into heaven. While Elijah and Elisha were leaving Gilgal,  Elijah said to Elisha, “Please stay here. The Lord has told me to go to Bethel.”

But Elisha said, “As the Lord lives, and as you live, I won’t leave you.” 
So they went down to Bethel.   2 Kings 2:1-2  NCV

The people at Bethel talked to Elisha about the prophecy of Elijah being taken away by God.

"The groups of prophets at Bethel came out to Elisha and said to him, “Do you know the Lord will take your master away from you today?”

Elisha said, “Yes, I know, but don’t talk about it.” 2 Kings 2:3  NCV

Elijah wanted Elisha to remain at Bethel, because the LORD was calling him to go to Jericho.   Elisha swore he wouldn't leave Elijah.

"Elijah said to him, “Stay here, Elisha, because the Lord has sent me to Jericho.”

But Elisha said, “As the Lord lives, and as you live, I won’t leave you.”

So they went to Jericho.   2 Kings 2:4  NCV

The people at Jericho talked to Elisha about the prophecy of Elijah being taken away by God.

"The groups of prophets at Jericho came to Elisha and said, “Do you know that the Lord will take your master away from you today?” 
Elisha answered, “Yes, I know, but don’t talk about it.
 2 Kings 2:5  NCV

Again Elisah refused to remain, and swore he would follow Elijah.

Elijah said to Elisha, “Stay here. The Lord has sent me to the Jordan River.”

Elisha answered, “As the Lord lives, and as you live, I won’t leave you.”  So the two of them went on.   
2 Kings 2:6  NCV

Elijah slapped his coat on the Jordan river, and the water parted.  

"Fifty men of the groups of prophets came and stood far from where Elijah and Elisha were by the Jordan. Elijah took off his coat, rolled it up, and hit the water. The water divided to the right and to the left, and Elijah and Elisha crossed over on dry ground."  2 Kings 2:7-8  NCV

Elijah's final words to Elisha, "Is there anything I can do for you before I leave?"   Elisha requested a double portion of the spirit.

"After they had crossed over, Elijah said to Elisha, “What can I do for you before I am taken from you?”

Elisha said, “Leave me a double share of your spirit.”

Elijah said, “You have asked a hard thing. But if you see me when I am taken from you, it will be yours. If you don’t, it won’t happen.”  
2 Kings 2:9-10  NCV

Elisha saw a fiery chariot snatch Elijah away, in a whirlwind he ascended into the clouds, to heaven.  Was Elijah raptured?

"As they were walking and talking, a chariot and horses of fire appeared and separated Elijah from Elisha. Then Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind."  
2 Kings 2:11 NCVNew Century Version 

No comments: